Sunday, August 16, 2009

Plain Truth- Jodi Picoult

I know, I know. ANOTHER Jodi Picoult novel. What can I say? It was Buy 2, Get one free at Barnes and Noble the other day, and not only did I practically push others out of the way so I could see what Picoult books were on the selection table, I'm already half way through the Plain Truth.

Plain Truth follows the story of a teenage Amish girl who is charged with first degree murder of her newborn son. I was first drawn to the title because I've always had an unhealthy obsession with learning about the Amish, and while this book gives you an introductory course to Amish culture, it lacks an exciting twist that usually is guaranteed with other Picoult novels (In her defense, I still have 200 pages left, but I was too excited/bored not to write a blog entry sooner...hah!) I also feel that most of the story is predictable as well as repetitive and does not leave the reader guessing as to what could happen. While it is an interesting topic, I am going to have to say I am still looking for a Jodi Picoult novel that competes with that of The Pact (about teenage double suicide pact) and My Sister's Keeper (which we all know and already love).

Book Grade: B

Do I recommend this book? Yes, but only for those of you (Ms. Grunberg) in law school and appreciate a good court case.

No comments:

Post a Comment