Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pedophilia, Classics, Murderers..All In A Day's Read

I've just finished a whole slew of books which is typical for me. I don't savor and pour over books. I read them like my dog drinks water after lying in the sun for hours. If this isn't a clear enough metaphor, let's just say I devour them.

The first I will mention here is Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins. After sending out a little facebook query, three people from totally separate segments of my life recommended Tom Robbins. That's a sign if I ever saw one. This book has some parts that made me queasy due to the main character's lust for his teenage stepsister (it's not cute like stepsibling love in Clueless), still I haven't read something this funny in a while. Also it took me a few weeks to get through (read: a looong time for me) because there was lots of extremely garrulous repartee. That's right, kids, words I didn't know! It excited me to no end. Robbins doesn't hide his love for words or his thoughts on the silly American way of life. He has a way of making bizarre Amazon tribes look more put together than CIA officials and I wondered the whole time...isn't that the truth? Robbins' social commentary is funny enough that you don't have to be a flaming liberal (though you will enjoy it more) to appreciate the plot and subtle jokes. Also even though it takes place in modern day the reality isn't too real. So just relax and get in the mind of a far out hippie dude for a bit.

I tend to be stuck on classics, because I feel Classic Guilt - or the pressing need to read every book listed on those Top 100 Books of All Time lists. This summer I made a conscious effort to meander off classics for a while.

I read the following mediocre books and saved you time by listing the quality book you should read instead:
1. You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers (Swap for: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius)
2. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig (Swap for: Siddhartha by Herman Hesse)
3. Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman. (Swap for: Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs)

BONUS:
Just because I preach these to whomever is listening.... As a hardcore Illinoisan I would recommend Manhunt: The 12-day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson. I would not lead you astray to some boring presidential retelling. This book is chock full of details but still reads like a solid murder mystery. Also I walk by the Ford's Theatre where Lincoln was killed every day on my way to work. I hope to see his ghost soon and give him a hug.

Secondly, check out The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. This is great if you like Chicago, World's Fair history, architecture, and/or gory mass-murderers. Yes, you can have it all! Plus it's nice to read some nonfiction that is palatable. It also helps develop great trivia for happy hour.

2 comments:

  1. Those last two books in the "Bonus" section my Dad absolutely loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not surprised. Guess who recommended them to me? My own Pops.

    ReplyDelete