Sunday, August 16, 2009

Books Galore

So, even though I have yet to read a Jodi Picoult book, I can honestly say that I have a reading obsession and that she is on my list.

I am currently in the middle of three books:

1. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson, which is LOVELY Julia. Yes, it is hard to get in to, but it was recommended by my Law and Ethics professor who is from South Africa. It's a little difficult to get through because it's not the interesting court cases and flowery writing and action after romance after action type of novel, but it does paint the beautiful picture of a man dedicated to education and to helping other people...a feel good. I have about six chapters left.

2. Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs (the author of Running with Scissors). The majority of Burroughs's books are semi-autobiographical and have many stories of his life as a gay man with a drinking problem. He blends dry humor with provocative stories that literally have left me laughing out loud in public places. It's sexual, disturbing, hilarious, and comical at times because it is essentially him delving into his most personal problems and making fun of it all the while. It makes for a super interesting read. Worth it.

3. The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. Ok, so everyone knows that I am an elementary education major, so I am required to read popular young adult novels for the majority of my classes. This book is science fiction, I know, you're thinking, "Gross, why would I ever want to read science fiction?" But, this is such a great book. Great enough in fact that I am on book number three of the four part series. It is essentially about two children who are assigned jobs to work in their city (sort of like The Giver by Lois Lowry), and they try to solve the problems of their city and escape before they run out of supplies or the lights go out. If you like mysteries, reading at a middle school level, and want a fun, quick read, I would totally recommend the first two books of Ember.

That is all for now. There are many, many other books that I've read this summer that I have adored and would be happy to recommend, but I am in the process of moving all of my belongings from my house in Texas to my new house in Orlando. Very sad and exciting moving on with life. I hope all of you are well and that you look into some of these books. I'm definitely going to check out Picoult next time I'm in Borders (which is much better than Barnes and Noble, no offense Jess, because they have crazy good coupons, great kids books, and dollar bins with great books). Ok, enough from me. =)

-Logan

1 comment:

  1. oooh city of ember sounds intriguing! I can't wait to become a sci-fi nerd.

    ReplyDelete