Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pennies for Peace

Oh Julia, I'm glad you finally finished it. I would have to agree with the B+ you gave it. As much as I love the book, it took me a while to get into it and to stay into it. The one part of the book that I really loved was the start of the Pennies for Peace drive (or in the book the "Pennies for Pakistan" drive), the real climax of the book I suppose. He writes,

"Children had taken the first step toward building the school. And they did it with something that is basically worthless in our society – pennies. But overseas, pennies can move mountains.”

It's amazing that something so small could make such a huge difference around the world. And overall, that's the impact the book had on me. It reminded me that even through failure (with his K2 attempt), you can rise up and find good in things and make life and the world around you better than how you found it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment